Sunday, February 8, 2009

Movie Review - Frost/Nixon


Frost/Nixon (2008)
Director: Ron Howard
Actors: Frank Langella, Michael Sheen, San Rockwell, Kevin Bacon

Overall:

I really enjoyed this movie. I thought the storyline moved right along and held my interest all the way through. Sometimes these types of biographical films get a little dull because you know what's going to happen, but I think Ron Howard, once again, did a good job of fleshing out the characters and creating some on-screen tension and suspense. I think it's also important to mention that for people of my generation, this era in American political history isn't well understood because we weren't even born yet. Films like Frost/Nixon are historical 'story-telling' and can educate a whole new generation in a much more accessible media form than even the classroom. It's sad to say but without movies like Frost/Nixon, I think a lot of young people wouldn't even know who Richard Nixon is and what happened with Watergate.

Plot:

Frost/Nixon has a pretty well-known plotline. Richard Nixon resigns the Presidency of the United States of America on August 9, 1974 after the Watergate scandal reveals that he had had direct prior knowledge of corruption, sabotage attempts, and a political cover-up. A month later newly-elected President Gerald Ford grants Nixon a full pardon. Then, 3 years later, Nixon agrees to shoot a series of sit-down interviews with David Frost, a British commentator and talk show host, to help restore his public image. And it's during these interviews that Nixon finally talks about his involvement in the Watergate scandal.

Setting/Mood:

One of the reasons I enjoy watching movies so much is because they have the ability to transport you to another world, another culture, or another time period. In this case, we're transported to the 1970's and the period of American civil unrest over the Watergate scandal and Richard Nixon. One thing I specifically liked about the setting was that even though it was set in the '70's, the clothing, cars, hotel rooms, etc. were not over-the-top. It felt authentic rather than cliche.

Acting:

I thought the acting performances were good all around, but particularly Michael Sheen's portrayal of David Frost. I really felt like he blended away into the character while still being very dynamic, whereas Frank Langella's portrayal of Nixon didn't have the same effect. For me, he didn't blend away as Richard Nixon enough for me to buy in to the character. I realize that it's infinitely harder to portray an actual person than a fictional character, but that's the nature of the beast. I think the Academy takes this into consideration with it's Oscar nominations because it seems like every year there's a least one nominee who's portrayed an historical figure. Whether it's Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles, Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash, or this year with Sean Penn as Harvey Milk, the Academy likes to reward this type of performance.

Recommendation:

I would definitely recommend movie, although not because of Frank Langella's portrayal of Nixon, but because of the historical significance of the story, Ron Howard's undeniable directorial skill, and Michael Sheen's sharp portrayal of David Frost. Go see it before the Oscars because I think Ron Howard has a decent shot at the Best Director award, other then that I don't see it taking home many other awards.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Trevor,

    I totally agree with you about movies like this and our generation using them to learn/understand more about historical events.
    A majority of my friends don't know anything about Watergate AND probably won't see the movie!
    ...which is unfortunate but a reality. At least directors like Ron Howard make historical events like this accessible to those that don't read non-fiction.

    Thanks for this review. I'm gonna see it :)

    ReplyDelete